23 August 2018

Kickstarter page for Peter Skellern's Complete Decca Recordings needs pledges before September 19th


[update 23/4/19: this Kickstarter project did not meet its target but a second attempt was successful - to celebrate which I have written a song-by-song account of Peter Skellern's third album, Holding My Own, readable here. This draws on material in an unfinished piece about the recordings of Peter Skellern in general, findable here, but the relevant sections have been revised and expanded. Now read on ...]

It's a great pity that his albums for Decca have not been issued in their original form on CD - or rather are not currently available. I did in fact buy You're a Lady - I think it may have been print-on-demand - which had a few extra tracks shoehorned in at the end. But Holding My Own, as far as I know, has never been made available on CD.
Since Skellern's death in February last year his Decca recordings have remained just as they were: scattered across various cheap compilations even though each original album, especially Holding My Own, had its own unique flavour.

Luckily, however, that is all about to change, provided a Kickstarter page set up by Richard Moore receives a sufficient number of pledges before September 19th 2018. For a £20 pledge (plus postage) you can get a copy of Peter Skellern's Complete Decca Recordings, including such rarities as the remixed version of My Lonely Room which appeared on the vinyl compilation Hold On to Love.

It also seems to be the case that non-album tracks are being kept separate from the albums, which is good to hear: the You're a Lady CD added a few tracks like Sleepy Guitar which interfered with the original sequencing.

Find all the details on the Kickstarter page here, which is supported by the Skellern estate. I have no involvement other than a longtime Skellernatic's wish to ensure people know about it; my post about Peter Skellern has received a huge number of  hits and is still regularly accessed so there is undoubtedly a market out there for such a release.


My post about Peter Skellern's Decca recordings:

Not Without a Fan: Peter Skellern

No comments:

Post a Comment

Statcounter