10 May 2013

Round Britain Rejects # 7


Okay, one more. I found this in an old email but I can't remember the answer. I'm sure there will be one. Ah. I do remember the second bit. I'll try to find the rest but see if you can beat me to it.

If the only way is up for an American Professor's admission, 

and down for a sleepy combo's combinations (as engineered by their manically grinning bespectacled leader), 

furnish me with the boy to make this answer thrice-blessed dramatically.

It may be (I'm honestly not sure now) that the question didn't have a complete answer, but that's unlikely. I suppose I could devise a post facto answer, but that may be like the one from Alice in Wonderland - you know, "Why is a raven like a writing desk?" This was just a bit of fun, as Peter Snow would say, and when Carroll did cobble together an answer you could hear the distant whoosh of tumbleweed as you read it: 
 Because it can produce a few notes, tho they are very flat ...
Oh, stop, Mr Dodgson, my sides will split. There is an article with some alternative explanations, on the Straight Dope website, here; this site is also the source of a good piece about the word pismotality, which you can find by clicking the "meaning of pismotality" page above.

Beat.

Ah! I have just remembered the complete answer. And it does make sense. All the clues are there. I'll fess up that I'm not entirely sure about the first part, but the other two are okay. Bonne chance - and laissez les bons temps rouler.

4 comments:

  1. Brian O'Connell11 May 2013 at 03:14

    I am thinking Professor Longhair and his Blues Scholars, Manfred Mann, Mannish Boy, Willie Dixon, Bo Diddley and 'I'm a man.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. A part of Professor Longhair's name is involved in the answer, but the rest of your suggestions are way off. Think it through, omitting no detail, however slight. Who might a "sleepy combo" be? Might they already be experiencing rapid eye movement? (And no, I don't mean REM.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian O'Connell12 May 2013 at 04:18

    Professor Longhair, Sleepy John Estes, David Furnish and Elton John (Bald(r)y)
    equals Long John Baldry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ingenious, but no!

    I will give you two big clues, that what you're looking for is the name of a play and a film named after the lyrics of a wartime song. And it might be worth thinking about combinations in a clothing sort of way.

    Ah, I've just realised I didn't mean combinations. Think more a garment for the lower torso than the whole body. You might need a measure of spirits to recover from this poorly worded question.

    ReplyDelete

Statcounter